Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
Matt Scorringe first represented New Zealand in Surfing in Bali at the age of 14. He went on to represent New Zealand in his respected age divisions every year until the age the 20 before stepping down from international competition to focus on travelling the world as a sponsored free surfer for Billabong.
Now, Matt coaches the next generation of aspiring New Zealand surfers through his company, The Art of Surfing, based out of Whangamata, on the Coromandel Peninsular, in NZ.
Highlights from the Show
- Matt’s introduction to surfing as a 5-year-old living in Whangamata and the unique environment the led him to reaching skilled performance
- What Matt believes it takes to make it as a world stage of professional surfing
- The pros and cons of surfing culture
- Matt’s advice to aspiring young surfers of where to focus on and off the water
- Matt’s battle with leukemia and what he learnt from surviving the life-threatening disease