On today’s show I’m joined Jon Oliver and Rhodri Lloyd, a couple of world leaders in paediatric sport science and youth strength and conditioning.
Together, they’ve published some of the most impactful research in the area, including a great framework for developing the athleticism of all children – the Youth Physical Development Model.
They also co-founded the Cardiff Met Youth Physical Development Centre where they apply their research with youth athletes across many different sports every day.
On this episode you’re hear about:
- Jon and Rhodri’s sporting youth and their journey into Academia.
- The adolescent growth spurt and its effects of the developing athlete
- How you can easily measure growth rate and why it’s so important to track over time.
- The important of motor skill and how to spot a good ‘mover’ from a poor one.
- Why every kid should be doing resistance training from an early age.
- How to keep your physical development work fun, and ensure your programmes are actually making a difference.
Thank you so much for listening, and I hope you find it useful.