My guest on the show today needs little introduction. Her name is Dame Valerie Adams, and she’s one of the best athletes New Zealand has ever seen. Val’s sporting accomplishments are unparalleled. She’s a two-time Olympic and three-time Commonwealth champion and currently holds the New Zealand, Oceanian, Commonwealth and equal World Championship shot put records. She’s also the first woman to win four consecutive individual titles at the world track and field championships. In 2017, Val was named a Dame Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit.
On the show today, I chat with Val about all sorts, including her humble childhood growing up in the burbs of south Auckland, the powerful relationships she held with her parents, what she believes has made her so successful in sport, and much, much more.
- Val’s mum’s terminal battle with cancer and how it’s shaped her life since
- A love for food growing up in the Adams household and why spending time eating and drinking was so important
- The best and worst coaches Val’s had and what she leant from them
- Why Val is as hungry and ever to make her fifth Olympic Games in 2020
- Val’s hopes and dreams for a veracious life of motherhood
Connect with Val via:
Instagram – @valerieadams84