With all that’s going on in this world right now, all Kiwis being self-quarantined to their houses, people can get pretty stressed. A great stress reliever is to stay active. But how do you do this when all the gyms are closed? Well, here are a few tips to keep you active and fit during your time away from the gym.
Do some home workouts – even if you do not have any gym equipment:
– Do bodyweight exercises (squats, lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, seated twists, etc.).
– Use your stairs as lunging steps by taking two stairs at a time.
– Use cans of fruit or veggies as light weights.
– Fill up those empty milk bottles with water and use them as weights.
Take activity or fitness-based walks:
– Walk your neighbourhood.
– Walk one block, jog/run one block, and repeat.
– Once every block on your walk, stop and do 10 squats and 20 star jumps.
– Start off each block by doing 10-20 walking lunges.
Turn your daily activities or housework a workout instead of a chore!
– Go up and down the stairs more often.
– Take two stairs at a time when going upstairs.
– Do some squats while carrying your laundry basket with clothes in it.
– Lunge while vacuuming and/or mopping the floors.
– Mow your own lawn (or even your neighbour’s lawn).
– Wash your windows (inside and out).
– Clean your cupboards and reach those arms overhead.
– While watching TV, during each commercial break do a small circuit of exercises:
10 bodyweight squats
10 chair triceps dips
10 sit ups (hook your feet under the couch).
With all of these activities, you can include your partner or kids to turn this situation into an opportunity for the family to bond and all stay active and fit together. Write up a routine that the entire family can do and post it on your refrigerator. This way you get the whole family involved and share your workout ideas.